Friday, September 5, 2008

A quick one on religion.

This should be a huge post, and I'm sure I will revisit it on future occasions, but at the moment its nearly 6 am.

I used to be a very religious person. Very spiritual. Very whatever you would like to call it. I came to realize that it was bullshit. That sound rather simple. To be more specific, they (the faith) helped me realize it. It was a long, painful process but I came to understand that I had ALWAYS had these doubts.

I have a specific memory of being around 5 years old and standing in the hallway of the trailer we lived in at the time. I was walking to the living room and it suddenly occurred to me that the whole God thing just didn't make sense. That sounds silly, but it was exactly what happened. By the time I was 10 I understood that it was sinful to have doubts like these, but I wondered why an almighty God would allow me to not believe in him. This isn't a issue of free will. Its simply a question of informing people of something that they ought to know about.

God is supposed to be our Heavenly Father. Your flesh and blood father doesn't question whether or not he should let you know if he exists. He directly involves himself in your life. No one would suggest that forcing your children to base their belief in you on 'faith' is a good idea.

So either he is a shitty father or else he doesn't exist at all.

Obviously there are a lot of other angles to this. I don't pretend to cover everything here. Just a few things I have been thinking of and wanted to talk about before I went to sleep.

No comments: